Friday, March 26, 2010

Lessons from the butterflies




Unit studies, humm...this was something new to me, the idea of coming up with small but meaningful studies for Meggie has been interesting, fun, and yet a challenge; especially with some of the issues she deals with. I really never thought of myself as a homeschooling mom, so it took a little change in my thinking, and now I find it quite enjoyable. When the NACD (the home program I do for Meggie) suggested the unit studies on Meggie's program I was a bit skeptical at first, wondering how she would respond to this. The results.....I was pleasantly surprised and Meggie loves them.


This week we studied the life cycle of a monarch butterfly, (even I learned a few things) watching short videos on the computer, copying pictures and discussing our findings as follow up. Talking about how the butterfly who lays her eggs on the backside of cattail leaves, within weeks they hatch into caterpillars, and within appox. 2 weeks forms a shell called a chrysalis and again in just weeks make it's way out of the shell and become this stunning, magnificent monarch butterfly who's main purpose is to start the whole cycle over again.






As a child I remember my friends and I lying on the ground watching intently while The caterpillar would slowly make it's way across the sidewalk, not seeming to be in a hurry to escape our curious eye. Even with all those legs, (16 I believe) it moved along at it's own pace, and sometimes came to a dead stop. Sometimes we would even pick them up to feel their little legs tickle our hand as they made they're way across, and we would giggle with delight.





Though we could not see what was taking place when the caterpillar was inside the chrysalis, that plain green shell had some significance unseen by our human eye. As children we thought it must be napping, unaware of the metamorphosis that was taking place. The next time we would see that caterpillar it would be transformed beyond recognition.






As the butterfly makes it's way out of the chrysalis the wings dry and soon appear as this picture perfect thin body with 6 legs, antennas, and and gorgeous orange, black and white colored wings. What a site! Will Meggie even get an idea of this beautiful butterfly with her poor vision?!? We'll do our best to explain.








Reflecting on the life cycle of this beautiful monarch butterfly, I pause to think of life with our children........

In the very beginning we think of them as safe and secure while the mother is pregnant, and may be even taking this for granted just a bit. Even when they are "safely" tucked inside unknown or unintentional injury may occur. For instance, a brain injury due to a blockage and poor oxygen may take place. The beginning of life is fragile for butterflies as well as babies and unborn babies. May we always strive to keep our standards high, and respect life from the very beginnings.


The second stage I noted was the caterpillar, moving along with no worries or cares in the world. As a child, I tried making it move at my pace, and it continues to move at it's own pace, and at times even came to a complete stop. Much like we want to force our children to move at our pace at times. May we learn to nurture them, rather than live their lives for them the way we feel it should be. Our children no matter what level of abilities they may have, at times will move at their own pace, learning, growing, and discovering what the world all has to offer.


" May we nurture them and help them grow, rather than living their lives for them as we think it should be,...then we may find ourselves growing in a richer, deeper way"




I have to admit there are many times when I have pause to wonder ..."Are we making the progress we want?"... "Will Meggie continue to progress to higher levels?"... "Has she reached her limits in a particular area?" Then just when my hope begins to fade slightly, she starts to move again, even picking up the pace at times. Reminding me don't give up, keep on going the results may show down the road. Though our journey's may be unique, all can learn (there are different forms of intelligence), and grow in some way be it physically, mentally, or spiritually. We need to educate ourselves in order to educate others.



The third stage of the chrysalis reminds me that what we see and observe from the outside does not always give you the full picture what is taking place on the inside. The actual changes taking place may be huge, but not fully revealed at the time we expect. As we wait... and wonder... and work... and pray... amazing things are transpiring. I do have to say I wondered at one time would we ever be able to break into "Meggie's world." A world that was very unfamiliar to me. How would I get her to appreciate all the things we see and hear, smell, touch, and taste? In her first years she seemed to be in a shell, unaware of all the gifts in the world around her. My new goal was to find a way, somehow, some way I would motivate her to break out of that shell.



Thanks to a loving family, and the NACD, we all wanted Meggie to break out of that shell . Soon we would see our persistent efforts rise to a new level. Meggie was awaking and making her way into our world. Though the efforts are ongoing, the rewards are sweet, and well worth the time and persistence. We spent time reading, playing(which years ago, she did not understand), word cards, watching educational videos, talking to her explain things more in depth for her to understand. I knew if she could only understand, if we could work on her cognitive level things would come together for her. The thrill of it all is that there is hope for all children, if we given them opportunity they will progress.



The last stage (or the beginning) is the transformation to that fully (freed) hatched monarch butterfly. It's breath taking color and form reveal that only the God of the universe could have designed such a unique insect. You have to wonder how is that butterfly with paper thin wings is going to make a journey of 3,000 miles,when only one in 4-5 generations make this journey. This weather sensitive insect is a powerful flyer to say the least. Not only do the great grandchildren of this insect make this journey; but, often times they return to the same tree their relatives were in....Amazing!!!


I find myself cheering on children of all abilities, like Meggie, they may be fragile in design, but the will go the distance, and jump those hurtles, even when the odds are against them. Meggie is weather sensitive just like the butterfly, (as are some other children) but, they are powerful flyers weathering the trials and storms along the way.



I had a great aunt with special needs, I often wonder what kind of conversations my great grandmother and I would have about our children if she were here. What I do know is the love and compassion they had for her, she was the youngest of 10 children and they raised her siblings to love and care for her, as I am in the process of doing with my other children.

.



" I guess..... I like the butterfly will return to my family tree and carry on the values left for me to embrace, making a difference in the world, even if I only touch one heart at a time."


No comments:

Post a Comment